I just passed the 30-year mark of full-time ministry to my calling from the Lord. I cannot believe I just wrote the number 30! Often times over the past 30 years I have wanted to quit, bail, run, hide, stop, move, etc. Ministry is hard. However, I can now say with confidence, quitting is almost always an unwise decision. Leaders don’t quit; they commit. They carry on and dig in to fix what needs fixing.
Why do some leaders quit?
- Their circumstances become bigger than the God behind them.
- Their emotions supersede the Word of God.
- They forget God’s divine clock and only look at their own watches.
- They forget that the enemy can win when we quit.
Why do some leaders carry on?
- They hear God’s call and cling to it and through it.
- They believe God’s Word and recite it when they feel like quitting.
- They pray way more than complain.
- They find their success in integrity, not results.
2 Timothy 4:7 – ESV: I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Colossians 3:23-24 – ESV: Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
James 1:12 – ESV: Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
If you are struggling personally, professionally, or denominationally, my prayer is that these words and God’s Word strengthens you today. Blessings, Gospel Alliance friends!